I’m not sure how many books other people are going to be attempting, but I made myself a stack of 7 books to start with. The readathon goes on for 2 weeks, so I’m going to make a mad attempt at chewing through this stack in the first week, then assess the damage and see if I’m ready for a whole new stack in week 2. If that’s too HUMANLY IMPOSSIBLE, then I’ll just gnaw on this for the entire readathon.
- Between The World and Me, by Ta-Nehisi Coates. This is the first physical copy ARC I ever received; I think it’ll add some substance to my readathon-ing!
- The novella Carmilla, by J. Sheridan LeFanu. I bought this when I was doing a Dracula book club on edx, as it inspired Bram Stoker. I meant to read it last month — now’s as good a time as any!
- The Bookshop by Penelope Fitzgerald. I’m not entirely sure what this is about — a haunted bookshop? Regardless, I’m in.
- Major Pettigrew’s Last Stand by Helen Simonson. I’m ~60 or so pages into this one. It’s a slow read, but beautiful so far. This is my white whale for the readathon. I want to read this, I want to finish it, I just need the motivation to plow through.
- The Masked Empire, Patrick Weekes. Okay, I have a Dragon Age obsession. I’m replaying the game for probably the third time and am approaching the ball and assassination attempt of the Empress — this book tells the backstory for this event, so I’m kinda interested in reading it before I do the playthrough.
- Will Grayson, Will Grayson, by John Green and David Levithan. I started this last night, and it looks like a quick, easy read that’ll be good for a readathon.
- None of the Above, I.W. Gregorio. A girl finds out she’s intersex. Very excited to read this one.
I’m not sure yet if I’m going to do daily updates or not during this readathon — I was considering just a midpoint update and then a final roundup, but the public shaming of a daily update would probably motivate me more. (I did daily updates during a NaNoWriMo a few years back, and I wrote more during that NaNo than any since — I’m convinced it was because I was putting my word counts up every night.) Anyway, this administrative nonsense.
There will be books read, updates posted, readathons ‘thonned, TBR stacks tackled. If you’d like to participate, all the information is here, and if you’d like to follow my readathon activities elsewhere, I’ll be on instagram and twitter as well.
All right. Let’s do this. Happy reading!